[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE: Murray was helped over today

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 14:02:22 EDT 2005

Hi everyone,

My Murr-burr was helped across the bridge today. He has been such a trooper. His tumor kept increasing in size. It was about the size of a kiwi fruit. It had 5 ulcerations, and two of them had merged a few weeks ago to form a larger one which increased in size until today where it was the size of about a half-dollar. Two others had also merged. He had slowly started losing his appetite and stopped greeting me at the front of his cage.

I had to wash his belly several times a day because it oozed caseous material and necrotic tissue. He hated it so much he would chew my shirt the entire time. Sometimes he missed my shirt and got me instead, but I could never be upset with him. What was a little bite to me in the face of what he was going through?

He had so many good days where he would chew on the bars when I did not get his special veggies fast enough! He got treats none of my other pigs got because he had to go through so much. He also got more of them just so I knew he was eating and getting enough nutrition. On those good days I got kisses and wheeks and purrs when I dried his little hiney after his washings.

But then there were some bad days where he didn't want to come out of his house and didn't care about his treats and it seemed no matter what I did it made him uncomfortable and I thought that that was going to be our last day together. So Paige (my dog) and I would curl up in bed with him in between us and just pour out our love to him. Maybe not in words, but he knew and then the next day he rallied and was doing better. We did that so many times...

Today he was not rallying and there was pus coming from the sores and I knew he needed help even though he was trying to keep his spirits up. He even gave a half-hearted attempt at chewing on the bars. I didn't want to do it, I was hoping the Goddess would just take him in his sleep because I am a coward, but I held him and told him how much I loved him and there are no tumors over the Bridge. He will be able to lie on his side if he wanted to and he will be able to walk normally and popcorn again. And as I say these things he gave me one last wheek and then left me with this huge hole in my heart and soul.

This has been such a bad year, losing Jack-Jack my beloved dog and then Mr. Zippy, another of my piggies... It opens up all of the wounds all over again. It is a very sad day here at the guinea pig rescue. There are no happy wheeks and no popcorning. There aren't even any arguments between two of my boys who always argue. It is just so quiet.

I miss my Murr-burr so much and it has been but a few hours. I love him so much and the tears don't seem to stop flowing. I just love him so much...

Lisa and the mourning gang at Wheeks and Squeaks
Murray the brave, Mr. Zippy, and Jack in mem forever