[Gpdd] (Care) re: Sonny's Teeth

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 19:31:30 EDT 2005

Lisa,
I have had an ongoing saga with my boy Max...he has been losing his top teeth off and on for the past 2 years. One of them grows in okay, but the other is split vertically so only half of it grows in.Then, those two cause the bottom ones to break because the top ones are jagged. It's odd. The vet is puzzled as to why this happens; Max hasn't had any trauma to his teeth. He got real sick and lost a lot of weight about 2 1/2 years ago, and I think it stunted his teeth somehow. He's been through numerous teeth trimmings.
Anyway--I cut all his food up really tiny when his top teeth fall out, and I shred his carrots with a food grater. He didn't much like being syringe fed either, but he finally got used to it and actually started to beg for the Critical Care. Now he'll pull the syringe away from me if I don't get it in his mouth fast enough. I also separate him from his cage mate to keep Oscar from stealing his food. I will occasionally hand-feed him pellets too, just to make sure he is eating them, but he manages pretty well on his own.
Hope this helps.

Stacy and the Squee Squad