[Gpdd] [Health] Neuter Surgery

Lisa B cavylover74 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 00:49:21 EDT 2005

Hi!  As some of you know, I am having my lone boar, Flint neutered this Wednesday morning.  I was just wondering about how long your vet's make you fast your pig?  I thought I had everything covered when I spoke to the vet at Flint's presurgery appt. but apparently I forgot the fasting.  The receptionists and the vet techs (don't have any clue about guinea pigs) told me to fast for 8 hours including taking away the water.  I don't feel comfortable with 8 hours.  I have read to only fast for up to 2 to 4 hours the most.  If you fast for anymore, the vet is suppose to give glucose orally or IV to make up for the loss of food going through the system and save the liver from being damaged.

I am going to call the vet up Tuesday and discuss this and have them specifically ask the vet how long to fast.  I can't remember how long I fasted my Cupcakers for when he had his teeth done back in January.

I am getting more paranoid now since his surgery is getting closer.

Wheeks to all,
Lisa and the Guinea Girls and the lone boar, Flint (not for much longer)

The "pigs" say, "Have a Wheeking Good Day!"