[Gpdd] HEALTH: Molly and her Eating Habits

ghost1972 at sbcglobal.net ghost1972 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 22 09:02:36 EDT 2006

    You know, Jaime, I am not certain that there is anything wrong with poor Molly yet. It's been less than a week since you got her and the poor thing is probably going through some major stress. If you put it into perspective, she was taken from at least one family taht you know of, maybe more, and she is missing those faces and smells. Chances are both families didn't care for her very well. I know I have been noticing that most people buy guinea pigs for their kids thinking that it's a great big hamster and they assume that you can get away with feeding it mix and water (which we slaves know is simply not true). So, here she is in a new cage (and since I am a betting woman, I'd say the only thing familar to her IS the pigloo!) in a house that smells nothing like the other ones. I can almsot hear her thought process now!
    "Oh, man! What a long wheek. I can't believe it. This places smells so different... and what are these shavings? *sniff sniff* Hmm.... well, it's kind of nice that they don't have that piney stink, but jeez. Oh, here comes that new human again, bringing me weird food. Oh, she seems nice and all, but what is this she's bringing me?! Long, crunchy orange thing? Hee hee, these humans probably call it something stupid like Kar-rot or something. *nibble nibble* Well, it's okay, but I am so overwhelmed. Stress, it's killer. Maybe I'd best lay down. I need some time."
    And that's what I think it is. Molly needs some time to adjust to all these radically new things. I mean, when we change their food we have to slowly introduce it to keep the eviroment and their tummies trauma free. I would think that her life at your house is sort of the same way. She'll get used to it. Have faith.
    And maybe take it slow with the cuddling. Start by having her take food out of your hands first. Once she trusts you enough for that, then comes cuddle time. :)
                    Amber