[Gpdd] (Health) Re: Allergies

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 1 14:16:12 EDT 2006

Mike,
  I've wondered about the allergy thing, too. I have two pigs who seemed to be affected with allergies when I lived in Maryland. Scooter always seemed to have a little bit of eye crust and Pinky was always biting a "V" shaped pattern into his back. Both were seen by a vet, and both were proclaimed not to have any illnesses. When I moved to North Carolina, they both got better. Pinky still scratches a lot, but he is part Rex and they always seem to have flaky skin (at least the 2 I've had, anyway), but he isn't chewing the hair off his back anymore. But, conversely, I now have a piggy (Geronimo) here in NC who has eye crusties, when he didn't have them in Maryland.

  Have you tried changing the type of bedding for your piggy? Some people say they see a difference in their piggies when they switch to Carefresh or towels. Those two options are not very cost effective for me, as I am now a poor unemployed student and I have the big C&C cages, so I have to use Aspen shavings.

  Stacy and the Squee Squad