[Gpdd] [GPDD]: Health - Neutering

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 13:36:04 EDT 2006

There was a recent post about cost of neutering piggies.
  Not having been on the digest for some time, I realize I
  probably missed part of the story, but am wondering
  why this was being done.
  Just for the record, piggies needn't (and shouldn't) be
  neutered just to be doing it, as with dogs and cats.
  If you're wanting to avoid a litter, simply separate
  the boys and girls if possible (even if you
  just put the cages next to each other).
  But this procedure will not change their behavior
  as it does with dogs.  I had Lil'Whistle neutered
  when he was young, so he could stay in with
  his mom & dad. After he recuperated and I
  put him back in with them, he went right back
  to the same behavior - rumblestrutting, fighting
  with CocoPuff, and chasing Snowy around.
  He didn't connect the surgery with his little
  macho self!
  And it IS surgery, anesthesia and all. Risk of
  infection afterward, etc, etc. And, of course, it
  is much riskier for the girls.
  Most piggie people and vets I know will advise
  against having this done.  Just for the record,
  I paid $40, 3 years ago, in a small town in OK.
  But then, that's not something you want to
  bargain shop for, either, if you do decide it
  needs to be done.
  That being said (my apologies if I'm repeating
  our prayers if you still feel this needs to be done.

  Susi & the OP's