[Gpdd] [GPDD]: Health - Neutering

Kathy kathma25 at psouth.net
Mon Aug 7 20:21:16 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susi Eastin" <ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com>
To: "DailyDigest GuineaPig" <gpdd at gpdd.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 06, 2006 1:36 PM
Subject: [Gpdd] [GPDD]: Health - Neutering

>There was a recent post about cost of neutering piggies.
 > Not having been on the digest for some time, I realize I
 > probably missed part of the story, but am wondering
 ? why this was being done.

I want to keep my male and female together.  They are currently and I don't
want to deal with all those babies. They are just so sweet when snuggled
together.

 > Just for the record, piggies needn't (and shouldn't) be
 > neutered just to be doing it, as with dogs and cats.
 > If you're wanting to avoid a litter, simply separate
  the boys and girls if possible (even if you
  >just put the cages next to each other).
  >But this procedure will not change their behavior
  >as it does with dogs.  I had Lil'Whistle neutered
 > when he was young, so he could stay in with
  >his mom & dad. After he recuperated and I
  >put him back in with them, he went right back
  >to the same behavior - rumblestrutting, fighting
  >with CocoPuff, and chasing Snowy around.
  >He didn't connect the surgery with his little
  >macho self!

I am not seeing any of these behaviors. All he seems to do to the female is
purr. I have been reading about the surgery online.

  >And it IS surgery, anesthesia and all. Risk of
  >infection afterward, etc, etc. And, of course, it
  >is much riskier for the girls.
  >Most piggie people and vets I know will advise
 > against having this done.  Just for the record,
  >I paid $40, 3 years ago, in a small town in OK.
  >But then, that's not something you want to
  >bargain shop for, either, if you do decide it
 > needs to be done.

I did not mean it that I was bargain shopping. The first thing I was asking
is if they did it at all. I have yet to find anyone within a 2 hour drive
who does. That is just not reasonable for us. We have a difficult time with
our finances as it is. I am not going into this lightly which is why I am
reading as much as I can.

I was thinking of getting another of the same sex, but I really don't want
to give either of them up.

  >That being said (my apologies if I'm repeating
  >our prayers if you still feel this needs to be done.

  Susi & the OP's