[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Possible Guinea Pig pregnancy

Donna Hofer dhofer at midsouth.rr.com
Mon Aug 21 08:45:32 EDT 2006

We have a female crested guinea pig, Teddy is her name.  She was a gift from Santa in December 2005.  I guestimate that she was born in the latter part of  November 2005.  We thought she was a male.   (That's what we were told by Santa's helper at the pet store.)  :)

 We kept a friend's guinea pig while they were on vacation July 25, 2006.  Squeaky is a male.   My daughter kept them seperated except for a few minutes one day.......  She didn't see them mating but they were side by side when she found them.  :)

Now Teddy is getting rounder around the middle and we don't know if she is pregnant or not.

I have read about lethals and this scares me.

Squeaky is  smooth haired and speckled all over.  He is more brownish than black.  His coloring is consistently like salt and pepper (not like a dalmation).  He is around 2-3 years old.

Teddy is bi-colored.  Chocolate brown rump with white middle and chocolate nose and white crest on top of head.

My questions:

1.  How do we tell if she is pregnant?  If she is, what special treatment/food should she receive?

2.  Should I be worried about the possibility of a lethal being born?

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.  We love Teddy very much.