[Gpdd] [RAINBOW BRIDGE] Pirouette has joined her mother

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Mon Dec 4 10:04:44 EST 2006

When I went to feed the Dolly Mixtures this morning, I found Pirouette  lying
on her side in her new hutch; she had gone to The Rainbow Bridge during  the
night. It was a tremendous shock, as she had shown absolutely no indication
of illness whatsoever; she had not lost weight, she was active, sociable and
tucked into her salad with her usual relish yesterday evening. But of all the
guinea pig corpses I have seen (and I have sadly seen far too many), hers had
to  be the most peaceful-looking. I am certain she must have died very
suddenly, and  did not suffer. I am so very glad that both she and I were spared the
frantic  dashes to the vet and painful administration of medicines and
injections. I am  convinced that it is the best way for them to go.

Pirouette was the first baby guinea pig I ever met. She was born on 24th  May
2002. I adopted her mother some time after Pirouette was born, and called
her Etincelle. Sadly, she was one of the 5 piggies massacred by dogs in their
run in the garden on 6th May 2003.

Pirouette was the only pet of a lovely family we knew called the Bellias -
Andre, Teresa, Gisele and Louise. This was the family that first introduced me
to guinea pigs and gave me my first one, Bafreur. Pirouette lived in a  small
hamster cage in their apartment, but was allowed out to run around
sometimes. The children were young and very noisy, and it amazed me that  Pirouette did
not seem at all alarmed by the noise they made. Indeed, the first  time I
minded her whilst her family went away on holiday, I had to phone them  because
she wouldn't eat. I had put her upstairs in a quiet room, away from the  cats
and dogs. As soon as she heard her family again on their return, she  statred
chomping away! She loved the noise and hated silence. The next time she  came,
I placed her cage beside my own guinea pigs, and she was perfectly happy.

In May 2004 her family emigrated to Australia, and reluctantly left
Pirouette with me. Initially she remained in her little cage, but eventually I
introduced her to the run in the garden (now well covered against predators) and
the rest of the Dolly Mixtures. She loved her new-found freedom and social life,
 and I felt she really blossomed.

This spring she developed 2 lumps on her back, and I was lucky enough to be
able to persuade Chris and Titch, the rodentologists from Cavies Castle, to
come over to treat them, as well as giving all the Dolly Mixtures and piggies
belonging to friends and neighbours health checks. She made an excellent
recovery, and although there were still slight lesions remaining, I am certain
these did not bother her.

For my 50th birthday on 3rd November, I was given a big, smart new wooden
hutch, which I put in my porch. Pirouette moved in with Cherry, Sable, Boulotte
and Caramel, and they all seemed really happy with their new accommodation.
It  was here that she died, and I am glad her little cagemates all have one
another  to comfort them.

Pirouette was 4.5 years old, which I know is not a bad age for a piggie,
although I had hoped she would be with me a lot longer. She is the 4th piggie I
have lost this year. Please forgive me for not having acknowledged condolences
 sent for Cannelle, Cannelletto and Muscade - they were all very much
appreciated.

Run free in that lush green meadow beside the rainbow, Pirouette, with your
mother Etincelle and nephew Cannelletto.

Debbie - and the now only 13 Dolly  Mixtures