[Gpdd] [GPDD] Behavior: Water Sports

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 12 16:53:43 EST 2006

Lest there be any doubt, let it be known that the Okie Piggies
  love their water. Some even more than others. Take Snowy,
  for instance. One of her favorite games is to park herself in
  front of the water bottle, taking an occasional drink, then
  swish it in her mouth, eyes closed, savoring it for a while.
  Even when she's stopped drinking, she doesn't always move
  away from the bottle willingly. Heaven forbid some other piggie
  might get part of her water!  We had to put up an extra water
  bottle so they wouldn't go thirsty!
  Some of the others are very possessive about their water
  bottles. Even if I am only taking it for a few minutes to refill
  it, Fozzie and Rocky will watch nervously until the bottle
  is returned. But Roanie Stripe tops them all. He worries
  so much that I've started showing him what I'm doing. Even
  then, it seems to upset him when the cap comes off. So
  yesterday evening, after he watched me pour the water
  into the bottle (with him standing with his front feet on the
  top of the fence), I held the bottle out for him to see that I
  had filled it with water. He sniffed it, then tentatively licked
  the top of the bottle, then started drinking out of it, like we
  would!  He drank and drank, quite pleased with himself
  that he had discovered something new. His brother R.J.
  watched in amazement, not quite sure what he was doing
  with that bottle.  Funny boys.
  And then there are the water rustlers. One of Bullett's
  main goals in life these days (aside from chewing through
  the bars to join those luscious Texas belles), seems to
  be to claim one of their water bottles. The same bottle
  every day, he'll reach up high enough to wiggle it around
  until he can drink out of it. But of course he never turns
  it back around so they can drink out of it again. Is he
  showing off for them?  Does this bottle taste sweeter,
  since they've had their pretty little mouths on it? Who
  knows! Of course they're right there, anxiously waiting
  to get a drink as soon as I turn it back around for them!
  (no matter that they have 2 other bottles!)
  And never mind that Bullett has 5 other water bottles
  to choose from!
  Susi & the Entertaining Okie Piggies