[Gpdd] HEALTH. Spurs on feet and Welcome new piggies

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Dec 13 04:54:23 EST 2006

Hi Gwen,

Some piggies are prone to those little hard callouses on their feet and if they are not trimmed back, they can catch them on the hay or on the cage wire and break them off causing the foot to bleed and leaving it open to infection. I trim them back with the clippers that I use to cut their nails. Cut back as hard as you can without reaching the end. As you are going to the vet with Chip, perhaps he could show you how it is done the first time and then you'll be OK to do it yourself in future.

We wish Chip all the best at the vets. Hopefully some antibiotics will sort him out.

Janneke and Mieke,

Thank you both for all the lovely pigtures

Kay,

Congratulations on bringing home all those lovely rescue piggies. Emily will love all those young playmates. Some piggies are just not grateful to be rescued. My Frodo was going to be put to sleep at a pet shop because he has an extra toe and he repaid me by sinking his teeth into my index finger, which turned nasty and I had to have a course of antibiotics to clear it up. I love him dearly though but now I am always extra careful when I pick him up. Rowena, be warned, you might not get as many cuddles if you bite your slave!

Penny and the Piggyfriends.