[Gpdd] HEALTH (re Mishy's bladder stones)

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Dec 15 10:45:51 EST 2006

As you have paid ( over the odds ) for the Xray at your vets I don't see why
you should not be entitled to take it home. Whether they will allow this
will depend on how pushy you can be. I would also tell them why I was not
bringing the piggy back to them, after I had the Xray firmly in my grasp and
was standing near the door.

Re Gerty Guinea Pig. It looks good and piggies love it but why do they put
all those colourants in it? My Rodentologists, Cavies Castle tell all their
clients to buy "Dry Goat Mix" to put in their piggies' bowls. I buy one at a
local feedstore. It is made by Allen and Page and is in their "Smallholder
Range". This is a big bag but the Piggyfriends get through it in no time as
there are a lot of them. Chris at Cavies Castle makes up small bags for
people with only a few piggies.This feed contains crushed oats, dried peas,
grass pellets and maize. I can buy all these ingredients loose at my local
petfood store ( one of the Jollye's stores - you may have one of these near
you ). I wouldn't venture into one of the dreadful Pets at Home stores but
they will probably sell loose feed.

I give all of my piggies veggies for the Vitamin C, which is so important
but steer clear of spinach ( high oxalic acid content) and all lettuce
except romaine ( the dark green one ). Lettuce contains laudanum. They have
apples but a few piggies are prone to mouth ulcers so I cut the apples up
into small pieces. Celery is good and so are cauli leaves. There are lots of
wild plants that are good for them but we can discuss that at a later date
if you like. Our plants will be different from those in the US and Australia
etc. Mine also love melon, including watermelon ( and the rind ). They all
have a chunk of carrot every day. Some like sweetcorn ( break a piece from a
cob ).

You may find that the bottled water contains less calcium than your own at
home as you are in a hard water area. Keep giving Mishy the cucumber as it
contains so much moisture. My flock gets loads of cucumber and a lot of them
hardly ever drink. I'm sure that there is a connection here!!

Treat yourself to a copy of Peter Gurney's "Piggy Potions" for an early
Christmas present. All sorts of wonderful guinea pig advice. Or his "Proper
Care of Guinea Pigs". I always recommend these. The man was a genius.

Feed your little fellow up before his op. Grass is great. See if you can get
him some crushed oats, dried peas etc. My piggies also like Spiller's
"ReadiGrass" which comes in a big bale for when the lawn grass is not so
good. They get the lawn grass too but it never looks so tasty at this time
of year. If you can't get ReadiGrass in small packs look for Friendly Farms
dried grass which I have seen in little bags more suited to the smaller pig
household.

Our American friends will have many more products available to them, which
we cannot buy.

I have just read Merle' post about Lucky's successful bladder stone
operation. What wonderful news and an inspiration to you and Mishy.

Don't ever be afraid to ask for help. That's what we are all here for.

Good luck Mishy,

Best wishes from Penny and the Piggyfriends.