[Gpdd] Behavior: Quiet guinea pig

Ruth Leibowitz dr.leibq at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 2 12:35:41 EST 2006

On one hand, I would suspect that how much wheeking and squeaking and
gurgling a pig does is very individualized.  But I wonder also if the lack
of vocalization might be a sign of loneliness.  I adopted Babu Franklin when
he was already an adult, and he lived alone with me for about a month.  He
hardly ever made a sound.  I was not home very much, and realized he must
have been lonely, so I brought home a companion for him.  Immediately, this
shy, quiet, SILENT animal began to emit all the sounds of piggiedom.  He was
just not very geared towards humans (perhaps because he hadn't had very
positive experiences with us -- living the first part of his life in a pet
store, alone in a small cage) and needed another member of his own species
to motivate him to communicate.  Could your piggie be lonely?  Wild guinea
pigs are essentially social, herd animals, and their domestic relatives are
not so different.  I am convinced that they are are not really "themselves"
without other piggies to communicate with.  Maybe that's why so many people
who have only one piggie end up thinking they are "boring" pets -- when in
reality, the piggie is just not really being itself because it is alone.
Many people become boring too, if they are socially isolated and in an
environment where they are not allowed to express who they really are.  At
any rate, I have no idea whether this is actually the issue with your
piggie, just a thought based on experience with Babu and knowledge of the
species.

Ruth in Portland