[Gpdd] HEALTH: Vitamn C

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 5 11:49:10 EST 2006

Hi everyone,

  I am a little behind but I know someone was talking about putting vitamin C drops in the water bottle which we know is not a great way for our babies to get vitamin C because it degrades and fosters bacterial growth. I also know a lot of you sing the praises of Oxbow's vitamin C tablets but I have never had any luck with my babies loving them and as a rescue, I have a lot of babies coming through here to try them on. So I gave up on Oxbow. Plus when Sonny-bunny was in dire need of vitamin C "now" and couldn't chew a tablet anyway because of his teeth issues I found what I think is a better way and ALL of my babies love it. Their little lips kinda curl up cause it is tart but they grab the syringe and pull because I am not giving it out fast enough. It is soooo funny!

  I went to the store and got liquid vitamin C. Not the pet store, but the health food store. The strength is 500mg/5ml so I only give my babies 0.5ml regularly and 1.0ml to my sick pigs and the new pigs that come in to rescue. I buy it by the pint, but I go through a lot of it with all of the pigs that come through here but they do have 4 and 8 ounce bottles.

  So now I can hear you saying, but there is probably sugar in it and preservatives which there are, but the benefits outweigh those little things. There are also fillers in Oxbow tablets so no matter what we do we make choices, you know?

  I just thought I would throw that out there for other people like me with finicky pigs. So good luck and if you want to know more just send me an email!

  Be well,
  Lisa and the gang at Wheeks and Squeaks
  Murray, Chewie, Russell, Mr. Zippy, and Jack in mem