[Gpdd] Health: Metacam

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 30 12:57:43 EDT 2006

I am once again going to state that Metacammay not be all that everyone thinks it is. If you delve into the research, there are no long term studies on exotics, only on large animals so basically you are doing the research for your vets. Sure there are lots of "off-label" uses for a lot of drugs but just because the vet prescribes it, does not make it safe. If there is no long term research to back it up, I am not going to subject my babies to it. You cannot say it is not doing kidney or liver damage every time you dose them, especially when you read that those are possible side effects in a dog, which is the animal for which the drug is intended.

  Human drugs can and are used in animals because they are tested on animals prior to being approved for human use, so their effects on the animal system, whatever species it may be, is well documented. There are a lot of "off-label" uses because not all species are used in research so they extrapolate, and if I owned one of those species, I would show just as much caution as I do with pigs and Metacam.

  Personally, I don't think it is proper to tell people it is safe when you don't know that it is. I think it is more politically correct to say that you have had no issues using it on your own pigs. This bothers me a lot when there are blanket statements made. A lot of you have used Metacam and it has worked out ok for your pigs. That is great and I respect that you like the product and that you believe it to be safe. I am just saying that people should see both sides.

  Lisa and the gang at Wheeks and Squeaks