[Gpdd] [Health] so-called cyst

Laura Carin lcarin at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 1 17:40:57 EST 2006

Hi everyone,
I wrote to the digest awhile back because Zephyr had a cyst on his leg that
was getting bigger.  Well a few days ago the so-called cyst started to get
scabby bits on it and we were getting worried that he would get some sort of
infection so we went to our vet and it turns out that it's not a cyst after
all, it's a tumor.  She scheduled him for surgery to remove the tumor next
Friday but when we got home last night it was bleeding and we were
terrified.  The emergency animal hospital said they could take us right away
but I was worried about having a non guinea pig vet do the surgery.  It
wasn't actively bleeding so we decided to see how he was doing this morning.
Now it has clotted over and just looks like an angry erupted volcano.  He's
acting the same way he always does, eating tons, sleeping tons and pooping
tons and is still running around like nothing's wrong.  I'm now trying to
get the vet to take him this Friday for surgery.  Has anyone had any
experience with tumors before?  I couldn't sleep last night because I was so
worried about him.  Our vet is the only guinea pig savvy vet in the city so
I'm scared to take him somewhere else.

A scared Laura, Zephyr & Felix