[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT: Rootbeer

KATHERINE L MOORE katmooretx at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 2 09:34:57 EST 2006

I just wanted to say Thanks to everyone who sent me helpful information regarding gassy piggies.

  My precious Rootbeer crossed the Rainbow Bridge this morning. We had taken him to the vet a few weeks ago for a sac infection.  Sunday night he started having labored breathing and became anti-social.  My husband took him to the vet on Monday and they gave him a fluid treatment.  They recommended that he be hospitalized, which I was not comfortable with.  Not only could we not afford it, I just did not want to leave my boy.  The animal hospital offered to adopt him, which was a very kind gesture.  By adopting him they could absorb the expense of any treatment or "deal" with him if he didn't make it.  Of course, I was much too selfish and just could not part with him.  I was also concerned that the stress of the situation would hinder his recovery.  They told my husband that if he did not improve within 12 hours, he would probably not recover.

  The next day, he did so well.  He was eating (although we were syringe feeding him water) timothy hay and lettuce.  He had enough energy to stand on the side of his cage when I came into the room.  Even had enough energy to kick my hand off when he was mad at me.

  Last night, he started taking a turn.  His normally pink lips and nose were very white, and he really gave me a hard time about giving him water.  He did eat his baby food when syringed to him (peas), but did not really have any energy or want to be held.

  This morning, he was very week and when I tried to syringe him the water, he faught me.  I passed by the room and talked to him and he peeked at me from his cage.  About 30 minutes later, I passed by the room and it was very quiet.  My other piggies were unusually quiet and still.  Rooty's breathing was very slow, so I knew he was leaving.  He pass while I was petting him and telling how much we love him.

  I feel so guilty, because if I had given him up, he may still be alive.  But on the other hand, if he was going to cross over, I am happy that he did knowing that how much he meant to us.

   I just taught him how to give me kisses for treats last week, and today he's gone.  It's funny how most people don't treat the loss of a guinea pig as they would the loss of a dog or cat.. like it's somehow less significant.

  Sorry this is long.. I just don't know anyone else, except GPDD readers who can understand how much these little creatures mean to us.