[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE - Tosca

rmalsberg at comcast.net rmalsberg at comcast.net
Tue Mar 21 19:33:16 EST 2006

Greetings to all piggies and piggie-loving people ~

I did not think I would be writing another bridge notice so soon after the one for Sundae in August 05.

My darling, beautiful Diva Floria Tosca Guinea Pig Alsberg crossed over the Bridge early this morning.  She was only about 4 1/2 years old.  Sundae had lived over 6 years with me, so I expected Tosca would be around as long.  Big Pig Daddy reminded me, though, that people die at different ages, too.

Tosca had been slowing down some of late, and Big Pig Daddy said she was getting old, but I kept insisting that she was only 4, etc., see remarks above.  She was still participating enthusiastically in meals and treat time, so I didn't worry.  I guess this was the classic case of a piggy hiding its illness until it was too late.  Also, I have a classic case of denial when it comes to piggies and family members dying.

Sunday night Tosca looked a little "huddly" and as if she were drawing in upon herself.  Refusing to acknowledge the worst, I kept hoping for the best.  She didn't show much interest in her treats, but in the evening, she approached the water bottle and tried to drink.  I hauled out the syringe and syringed her some water and mashed piggy pellet food, as I had with Taffy.  Unlike Taffy, though, Tosca seemed to appreciate and want to eat and drink.  With Taffy, I felt as though I were torturing her, and she was just pretending to take it to please me.  Tosca even munched her current favorite thing, celery leaves.  I was encouraged.

But by this morning, I found her lying in the cage.  I petted her and thought I heard a faint purr, but I know it was just my imagination.  She was gone.

We'll give her a funeral as soon as we can.

The odd thing is that I got Tosca to keep Sundae company after Taffy, my first piggy, died about a week after we buried my dad, in March of 02.  Then Carmen came this last summer to live with Tosca after Sundae passed.  Now it's March of 06.  Last week, we buried my boyfriend's mom (85, and ill), and now Tosca's gone.

Goodbye, Tosca, my treasure.  You were a great comfort and joy to your mama, with your sweet face and warm purring.

--
Wheeks,

Rayna and Carmen
Taffy, Sundae and Tosca in mem