[Gpdd] Health:Playing on the lawn

A GREIG greig164 at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 5 14:00:58 EST 2006

Sorry to go back to the subject we covered in detail a
short while ago.
I always let my guinea pigs play in a run on the grass
when the weather is nice.  It can be risky at times eg
a new cat in the neighbourhood started to take an
interest in them this summer and although the rabbits
were terrified the guinea pigs seemed to take it in
their stride.  However I had to keep a watchful eye on
them and be there to chase the cat away.

Also this summer the guinea pigs escaped from their
run on one occasion and although I found the young
ones quickly, I had avery anxious time looking for
elderly Bella and at one point thought I'd lost her
for good until I found her at the extreme end of the
garden under a bush.  I don't know if she wanted to
escape or just could not find her way back.  Anyway it
was lucky the cat didn't get her.  Also I'm amazed how
hard it is to find a pure white guinea pig.

Also it was awful when Maya got a chest infection and
died and I think it may have been that the grass was
slighly damp.  I didn't think so at the time but after
she died I will be really careful now.

Anyway someone posted that it could be dangerous to
put them in grass that had been grazed by rabbits?  Is
this because their dropppings could cause germs and
bacteria which could be harmful to the guinea pigs?
Also would this apply to guinea pig droppings also.  I
alway try to rotate the area of grass where I put the
run but am aware that the grass might not be totally
clean.

Thank you if anyone has any advice

Anne, Maisie, Bella and Kiaroo.