[Gpdd] HEALTH/FOOD: Bad hay warning

bwk keiper at hiwaay.net
Sat Oct 28 17:40:07 EDT 2006

I'm sorry I never get to post anymore but I have had some bad hay experiences lately and just wanted to let everyone know to be extra careful. I don't know if it is okay to name names about stores but that's the only way I know to do it.

The past few times I have tried to buy timothy hay at Wal-Mart (it is the closest place to my apartment) it has been bad -- it had a molded/fermented smell.  The first bag I brought home without smelling it first and fortunately the girls were smart enough not to eat it. The next time I was there I smelled the hay and it was the same thing. So please smell your hay before you buy it.  So I went to Petsmart for it (that's the only other place in town) and the hay there has been very, very dusty and made us all sneeze.

I live in the Southeastern U.S., so maybe the problem is just in that distribution area, but I am ashamed to say that I never thought to smell the hay I'm going to buy. I will from now on and hope all of you will too.

Bethany, Silky and Sooty
--
bwk  *  http://home.hiwaay.net/~keiper  *  http://www.arkinc.org