[Gpdd] [MISC.] getting a new pig after the loss of another

Ginger Hoffman gingera at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 11 09:29:13 EDT 2006

Dear GPDDers,

As many of you know, I lost my little Wallie on August 8th (I still owe
a written memorial--I'm working on that).  He is survived by
Nosophoros.  Now, Nosy seems to be doing just fine.  He may, in fact,
be slightly happier alone--it's hard to tell for sure, but he seems
pretty happy.  I do, however, want to get another pig (because I, like
everyone here, LOVE piggies!!).  I suppose I have two questions.

First, is it crazy to think that Nosy might be happier with another
buddy?  Even if they can't live in the same space, I have enough room
to separate them.  It seems like there's so much evidence that most
piggies *would* be happier, but maybe Nosy is really just a
"super-loner" (I adopted him when he was 3--he's now almost 4--and I
think he lived all of his life before alone).

Second, does anyone have any advice about the experience of adopting a
new pig after losing a very special one?  I'm still very sad about
Wallie, but I think I'm *probably* ready for a new pig.  Sometimes it
feels a little weird, thinking about getting a new one.  The reason
that there's this urgency is that I found a new fellow on craigslist
who I sort of fell in love with--I didn't think it would happen so
soon!  I didn't look for maybe 2 weeks after Wallie passed, but then I
was on petfinder and craigslist (I can't help myself--I look on them
anyway, even when Wallie was alive and I knew I didn't have room for
another!).  I wouldn't feel weird at all if I felt that Nosy really
wanted a new buddy.  It's just that it's hard to know what's best to do
for Nosy and the new pig and us (and our memory of and respect for
Wallie).  Anyway, any stories or traditions or advice any of you have
about welcoming a new pig (especially relatively soon after the loss of
another) would be greatly appreciated.

Warm wheeks to all of you, and prayers for sick and recently passed
piggies

best,
Ginger and Nosophoros (and Wallie, forever in our hearts)