[Gpdd] [Silly] Roll call and Hamster Adoption

Cheryl Cline cherylcline at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 19:10:09 EDT 2006

Reporting from Los Angeles, California:  Slave to two piggies, the
illustrious Alex P. Hamilton and J.B. (Jelly Belly) Poopsmith, ne
Pigglesworth.

Also slave to 12(!) Russian Dwarf hamsters.  The daddy hamster is
named Beckham, and the mommy is Mia Hamm.  Between them, I am both
proud and embarrassed to report, they have had ten babies, five
albinos and five standard gray.

I know there are  some of you out there with hamster friends as well
as piggie masters, so I hope you will be interested in reading on...a
couple of months ago, I got two dwarf hams from a Venice pet store
because I really missed having hamsters.  They were very young and I
didn't realize that I had gotten one male and one female, until one of
the hamsters began looking very pudgy and seemed to spend her days
nest-building.  Then I found out too late that hamsters mate again
within 24 hours of giving birth, so Mia Hamm soon delivered litter #2.
 I have since separated Mia Hamm and Beckham, and am taking care of
their 10 offspring.  The second litter of 4 is approximately 3 weeks
old.  The first litter is full-grown.  My friends have no interest in
adopting any of them, and I am terrified of giving them away on
craigslist in case I turn up someone unscrupulous or neglectful.  (I
did try advertising with an adoption fee of $10, to include food and
bedding, but didn't really get any replies).  So if anyone in the LA
area (I am in the San Gabriel Valley) has any interest in adopting
some hams, please contact me.  I will give them for free to fellow
slaves because I'm sure you are all loving and trustworthy folks.

Otherwise, I am prepared to take care of 12 hamsters.  They are much
less maintenance than even one piggy, after all...they don't beg for
veggies all day long!  :)

Cheers,
Cheryl