[Gpdd] (Health) A member of the Squee Squad is ill

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 30 09:11:25 EDT 2006

Digesters,
  I got home from class yesterday and my little Serendipity was breathing hard with a lot of crackling and wheezing. I took her to the vet, and we got some Baytril and some Critical Care. She didn't seem to have any syptoms and she was eating normally right up until yesterday. She is eating a little bit today; sometimes she takes the Critical Care and sometimes she doesn't. I have been trying to feed her in her cage so that I am not disturbing her or putting pressure on her lungs--is this the right thing to do, or should I be taking her out to feed her regularly? I just don't want to stress her out and make her breathing worse.

  Also--does anyone know anything about nebulizer treatments? My neighbor, who is a nurse, asked about it (her daughters have asthma and she is a firm believer in that nebulizer), but I can't find anything about using them on GPs. I saw some info about using antibiotics in them on rats and that's about it.

  Oh--what about a warm mist humidifier? I have one that I use in the winter to keep the air moist. Would this help at all? It is mentioned in the Diseases of Domestic Guinea Pigs book, but I was wondering if anyone has actually used a humidifier and found it helpful.

  I ask that you all keep Sera in your thoughts and prayers. She is 5 years old, and she is the last of the 3 pigs my husband and I got when we were first married. I know it is inevitable, but I am just not ready to let her go yet. She isn't suffering right now, but I hope I'll know when it is time.

  Stacy and the worried Squee Squad