[Gpdd] [CARE] Ivy's bumblefoot

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Fri Apr 20 19:10:52 EDT 2007

Dear Lisa

So sorry to hear that your little Ivy piggy has bumblefoot.  What I do for
piggies with sensitive feet is to put bubblewrap under the newspaper in
their cabins, so that provides a cushioned surface for walking and
sitting.  Put the bubblewrap bubble side down (to prevent urine from
collecting in little pools around the bubbles), then put some kitchen
paper or tissues on top in the area where Ivy would normally go to the
toilet, to soak up the moisture. Next, put some newspaper on top, then the
usual bedding and hay.  I have found this works really well, the only
thing you have to watch is that piggies don't eat the bubblewrap, so it
needs to be trimmed carefully so it doesn't stick out from under the
newspaper.

Hope this helps to make little Ivy more comfortable.

Best wishes

Kay