[Gpdd] HEALTH Fugly's feet

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Aug 9 19:30:53 EDT 2007

Isn't it a shame that we cannot post photos to the Digest?

I read your first post about Fugly's feet and hoped that someone would reply with some positive information. Without seeing his feet, I cannot be certain what his problem is.

Your vet has eliminated Bumblefoot ( phew! ). There is a condition in which the pads of the feet form spurs or callouses which come out sideways from the foot. Does this sound like Fugly's problem? These spurs can get caught in the hay or wire and break off leaving a wound, which could get infected. The spurs can be removed in the same way as trimming a piggy's claw but cutting close to where the spur projects.

I've just found a picture of these spurs on GuineaLynx. Here is the page http://www.guinealynx.com/feet.html Scroll down to the last section for a description and a photo. Sometimes just a single spur develops which curls upwards around the foot.

Some piggies develop these spurs for no apparent reason. They are not dangerous but need a little attention. On a piggy that is prone to them, they will regrow but are easy to keep in check.

If this does not seem to be the answer to Fugly's problem have another try at describing it and we'll see what we can do.

I would guess that your vet was just offering a general health check regarding the water and Vit C.

Love to Fugly from Penny and the Piggyfriends.