[Gpdd] HEALTH: Ryvvir has ovarian cysts |(

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 15:17:47 EDT 2007

Hi Nicholle.

  Maybe it's something in the water!  I was waiting until I had everything resolved to post but since you have found this out I'll post now.  Mind you, I have no definite conclusions yet but here goes - Lady Bug had an ultra-sound about a week and a half ago and has two ovarian cysts on one of her ovaries with a couple of smaller ones.  One is 1.7 cm and the other is 1.9 cm.

  Since her doctor has never done a spay on a Guinea Pig, I looked around and finally found one with a lot of experience.  We have an appointment with her on Monday to talk about spaying.  I don't really like the odds on a spay so have been looking into the hormone shots as well.

  I guess a lot depends on the basic health and age of your sweet Ryvvir.  I met initial resistance to spaying the LB because she's over 5 but refused to accept that argument.  My feeling right now is that I will go with the hormone but since I would really like to eliminate the problem altogether, I'm still going to ask about the spay.

  I'm sorry I don't have a definite answer for you as I'm going throught the same thing right now.  I know there are posters who have a lot of experience with the hormone shots.  They will be cheaper than a spay I'm sure, but will require monitoring to be sure they don't return.  Damned if you do and damned if you don't.  It's frustrating isn't it?

  Know you're not alone in this.  Maybe we can compare notes as we go along?  I do know that because they are cysts and not tumors we do have a little time.

  Joan, slave to The Lady Bug