[Gpdd] HEALTH Ryvvir's ovarian cysts

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Aug 24 16:04:07 EDT 2007

Nicholle,

So sorry to read about Ryvvir's ovarian cysts. This is what my wonderful Rodentologist does about them. The cyst consists of a thin membrane filled with a sterile fluid. By manipulating the cyst, he can, in effect, burst it and disperse the fluid into the body with no ill effect. I have seen him do this and I have felt for the "before" and "after". It only takes him a moment, the piggy doesn't even notice what is happening and is nibbling the veggie waiting on the treatment table immediately afterwards.

Occasionally, the membrane is harder to "pop" and then he uses HCG, with great success. None of my piggies have had this treatment but I know of other piggies who have received it successfully. The one that he uses is called Pregnyl in England but may well have another name in the US. Your vet will know.

Personally I would go for this option before attempting a spay.

Years ago, when I had to rely on a vet, I had a piggy with ovarian cysts. Posy had to be separated from her group because of her boar-like behaviour. My then vet was willing to try a spay if I wanted to risk it, but, paranoid about operations, despite his good track record with piggies, I decided to leave it and see how she got on. She lived to a ripe old age and was quite happy to live alone. She lost her hair on both flanks - common with these cysts - but always had a hearty appetitie and I was glad of the decision that I made.

Hope that some of this helps and good luck with Ryvvir.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.