[Gpdd] care corn

Martha Coburn marthac at cogeco.ca
Mon Aug 27 12:14:31 EDT 2007

Greetings All Piggies and their Peoples

I'm trying to catch up on my digests, boy can they add up in your inbox and
get away from you easily! I wanted to add my two cents about corn. My girls
are fanatics. I'm not sure if anyone else does this but I give my girls the
whole cob as a treat once or twice a week in season (one cob for all three).
At the corn stand I ask/look for the smaller cobs that may not sell as well
as people tend of prefer the big cobs for their meals. The stand always
gives me a deal as I'm buying the ones that don't sell as easily. They have
a ball ripping the husks off, gobbling up the silks and eating a few of the
kernels (the kernels don't interest them as much and after the husks and
silks are gone I'll take the remaining cob out). It's a hoot watching them
holding the cob down with their paws and getting a hold of the husks. They
also play tug o' war with it and drag it around their pen. Joanne mentioned
that she was debating about the silks as they are like strings and wondering
if it is the same as celery. I believe the difference is that celery strings
are quite strong and don't necessarily breakdown easily. Corn silks are very
fragile and it is easy for piggies to break them down when they are chewing
and digesting them.

The other thing I keep an eye out for at the corn stand is the "mutant"
little cobs that are offshoots from the regular size ones. They look like
full size cobs but in miniature and the kernels are really undeveloped and
the cob very tender. The girls leave no trace of these ones.

All the best,

Martha, Poppy, Holly & Miss Otis