[Gpdd] HEALTH. Daphne. Maybe Ovarian Cyst.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Feb 26 13:30:46 EST 2007

Pat,

I didn't reply to your first post because I have no experience of uterine tumours but did wonder at the time whether Daphne's problem might be an ovarian cyst.

I've just read your latest post. Several years ago I had a piggy called Posy, who in later years developed an ovarian cyst. The hormonal upset caused her to act like a boar with her sister and friends, to the extent that she had to be separated from them. Another side effect was that she had considerable hair loss on both flanks but continued to eat and enjoy life as before.

As she was a middle aged piggy at the time, my vet was not comfortable about operating on her and we decided to see how she progressed. She lived for another three and a half years without any problems, other than the cyst grew bigger.

With the improved veterinary treatment that is available these days, faced with a similar situation I might have gone for surgery but Posy had a good quality of life right until the end and probably never knew that she was "ill".

We are keeping our paws crossed for Daphne. Hopefully the ultrasound will give you a better idea of what is going on. It's no good telling you not to worry as I am reduced to a nervous wreck myself every time one of my little ones is sick.

Regards from Penny and the Piggyfriends.