[Gpdd] Help for Piggie with Diarrhea

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 5 13:27:36 EST 2007

Hi all,

I would really like to hear how people deal with
diarrhea when it happens while their gps are on
antibiotics.
A week ago, it seemed that my piggie Guinevere's
problem was bladder stones or gravel, now the gravel
(according to an x-ray yesterday) is almost completely
gone, but the UTI is still bothering her so she's back
on antibiotics and after one day, she has developed
diarrhea.  (She was on the same drug, sulfatrim, for
ten days before (ending last Saturday), and did not
have diarrhea. We had tried baytril and chlor-palm
before the sulfatrim, and they both had worse effects
on her.)
Stopping the antibiotics or switching to a different
one is not an option at the moment, but I'm worried
about the diarrhea.  The vet has suggested kaopectate
(.2ml every eight hours) and acidophilus; I am already
syringing in about 20ml of blended
pellets/pedialyte/cranberries/red pepper twice a day
when I give the antibiotic.
Guinnie is a very nervous, high-strung little girl and
is completely stressed-out by all the handling, but I
cannot figure any way around it.  She has to get the
medicine and she needs the food and fluids if she
isn't eating and even more fluids with the diarrhea. I
am working hard at being calm and gentle with her, and
trying to communicate that, though it doesn't seem
that way to her, I am doing my best to help her feel
better, but I still feel like an ogre.

If anyone has ANY tips on settling her tummy, or
helping with the diarrhea, or making her any happier,
I would REALLY love to hear them.  She looks so
miserable and depressed right now, I just want to
cry...

                                         Pat