[Gpdd] [HEALTH]<constipated piggies>

Janneke Staaks jannekestaaks at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 8 04:50:04 EST 2007

Hi all,
first of all, penny, it's good to have you back! I read the post about
diarrhoea induced by antibiotics and i thought, finally, something that í
can really give advise about because my yaya used to have a lot of diarrhoea
and then you come and give a better answer than i ever could ;-)
The only thing that is left for me to say is that for yaya, when she has
diarrhoea, she moves eats and drinks very little. so i usually put a pile of
hay under her nose to keep those fibres going and syringe her water. For
yaya, cucumbers are a no-no, they make it worse. but that's not the case for
every piggy.
I do have a source about constipation in piggies. It is in dutch
(www.knoevel.nl) so i'll try to translate.

Constipation can be caused by shortage of fibre, lack of excersize or dental
problems. The main cause however is drinking too little water.

Symptoms: they guinea pig doesn't eat well and is apathic, in an early stage
the pig will poo but the beans will be hard and dry, in a later stage the
poos will  be smaller and covered with intestinal slime.
The little poos will usually stick together. the pig will eat less and if
it's chronic the pig will loose wheight. Consitpation is usually accompanied
by cramps. and in many cases the pig is dehydrated.

Diagnosis: By just feeling the guts a diagnose can be made. with a
stethescope one can hear if there are intestinal sounds(which there ought to
be in healthy pigs) or if its silent (which means that the intestines are
not moving. To be sure, an x-ray can be made.

Therapy: it is important to get the bowels moving again. Give and infusion
(drip?) to help with the dehydratation. In the netherlands they give piggies
primperan to get the bowels moving again (i hope that abroad the name is
similar) the vet can inject this subcutanuously and the owner can follow up
with primperandrink (usually the vet has this but it is also available for
people in a drug store, email me if you want to know about dosage).paraffin
can be administered orally and rectally as a lubricant.
it is really important that the pig gets enough raw(?) fibre. In case
neccesary, syringe feeding with science recovery is a good idea to help get
extra fibres in there.

Warmth and belly rubs can be used as support. Put the animal on a hot water
bag(not too hot). usually the pig starts to relax after a few minutes and
one can start the belly rub. make slow circular movements with 1 or 2
fingers. The left side of the belly is usually less painfull and it's best
to start there with the massage. from there on, you can slowly work your way
down to the right side and the underside of the pig. You can also give the
pig cold fenneltea, which is known for it's ability to get rid of cramps.

janet, from reading your post i think your vet is doing everything that is
neccesary, but maybe the hot water bottle and massaging are good tips?

Good luck with all the sick piggies!
janneke