[Gpdd] Behaviour: RE: Fighting Boars

Eve the Cavy Fanatic shiksachick at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 10 00:11:13 EST 2007

Hi there,

My advice to you is sometimes slow and steady wins the race.  I had a
wonderful pig named Holllister and two littermates Hamlet and Ophelia (both
boys).  Whenever I cleaned out one cage, I'd put the displaced piggies into
the other's cage while their residence was being cleaned (20-30 minutes).
Well, Hollister and Hamlet were both dominant and it always ended with
Hamlet jumping out of the side of the cage onto the dining room floor
(don't worry, the cage is at floor level, too!).  Ophelia and Hollister just
acted like they didn't exist to one another.  That was the routine until
Hollister's death.

When I adopted Paddington,  I did the same thing.  Paddington LOVED Hamlet
and Ophelia!  Ophelia couldn't care less and Hamlet wanted nothing to do
with him.  This time, however, Hamlet never jumped out of the side of the
cage during the playdate/cleaning sessions.  They would just chatter and
posture.  Well, that went on for 6 months.  One day, I put the boys in with
Paddington, and Hamlet and him did that twirbly sound to one another like,
'Hey, how's it going'.  No chattering, no posturing, no increasingly angry
whines and squeeks.  Since Ophelia's death, Paddy and Hamlet have lived
together with only the occasional nose bite if Paddy's being too familiar
towards Hamlet.  I have recently seen them sleep *almost* cuddling together.

Maybe your pigs are both too dominant and they'll never get along.  At least
they'll have each other's company through the bars.  But, I'd encourage you
to let them have playdates on a regular basis for a while longer before
deciding that's the case.  They might still work out their differences and
be able to live together at some point down the road.

All the best!

Eve along with oldster Hamlet, Paddington the leaper and Agnes Nutkin my
cuddlebug

Buy, Load, Play. The new Sympatico / MSN Music Store works seamlessly with
Windows Media Player. Just Click PLAY.
http://musicstore.sympatico.msn.ca/content/viewer.aspx?cid=SMS_Sept192006