[Gpdd] [Rainbow Bridge] George has gone to the Bridge

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Mon Jan 15 19:21:22 EST 2007

Fellow Digesters

It is with great sadness that I have to announce that my little George
piggy left me on Saturday night to go to the Bridge.  He had been to the
Vet several times as I feared he looked a little "not quite himself".  He
improved after some Metacam, but it was found that his teeth were giving
him some trouble, so he had them trimmed on Saturday, and when we came
home he started eating again so things were looking better. A couple of
hours later, though, he looked really groggy, and I realised his time to
depart was drawing near.  I cuddled him the whole time in his little
cuddl-e-cup, with a covered hot water bottle underneath for a while to
make sure he was warm and comfortable.  I knew he was making himself ready
to depart, and at 11:30pm he left for the Bridge.  George was one of five
piggies who joined us from a rescue on 9 December; he was six years old.
His previous owner had rescued him, but then had to go into hospital and
was no longer able to look after him, so he had been loved, and I feel
relieved that he was able to have individual attention in his new home for
his last days...he certainly liked sharing with his lady friends (he had
been neutered before I got him).  The lady piggies were able to say
goodbye to him.

I got to bed around 2am.  Later that same night, I was woken about 4:30am
by Beatrix screaming...  I went to see that she was all right, but I think
she was missing George.  I picked her up, checked her over, and she calmed
down, but started screaming again when I popped her back.  I let her make
further farewells to George, rang the Vet's emergency service and arranged
to take her in later on Sunday morning, and after a careful examination
she was given the all clear.  She seems much better now as we had a cuddle
this evening.  Piggies are so sensitive to what happens around them, and
they know and understand when something has happened.

Condolences to all others who have lost a piggy, and healing thoughts to
poorly piggies.

Kay