[Gpdd] MISC: GPs in Egypt

Candy G. crawdad1953 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 19 16:31:28 EST 2007

Greetings, All -

I am facinated by the question about piggies in Egypt.
While on our trip to Mississippi (more about that later!),
I had Topper out in my lap during a layover in Atlanta.
The couple sitting next to me looked and sounded to be
Egyptian or Pakistani.  Both of them were very interested
in Topper.  They did not speak English.  The man pointed
to Topper and said "Susleh."  (I don't know how to spell it;
maybe 'suslay' or 'sousleh'? - he pronounced it "SOOS-lay").

It appeared to me that they both knew what Topper was -
that he wasn't the first guinea pig they had seen.  We all
laughed together at their pronounciation of "guinea pig"
and "cavy" and my pronounciation of "susleh".  (You can
imagine what this long southern drawl did to their language
<sigh>).  They were quite taken with him and watched
him the whole time he was out, but they did not want to
hold or pet him.

I tried to look up the word later, but have not been able
to find it anywhere.  The closest I have come is "suslik"
which is a Russian ground squirrel.  I have been curious
about it ever since and wish I had gotten them to write
the word down (although it has just now occured to me
that if they didn't speak English, they probably didn't write
English either - I can be SO dense...).

Anyway, for whoever was looking for piggies in Egypt,
maybe someone has heard of the word "susleh" or some
version of it and can provide further information.

[Gee.. I hope it doesn't mean "appetizer" or "snake food"
or something like that...]

Love and healing thoughts to all who need it,

Candy; Topper; and Cat X (with Mollie always in our hearts)