[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Phoebe's abscess

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Fri Jan 19 12:33:06 EST 2007

Dear Liz

So sorry to hear about little Phoebe having an abscess.  When my Pearl had
an abscess on her nose, the Vet cleaned it out, put a couple of stitches
in to keep it open so that it healed from the inside first (to stop the
top from healing over with any pus still inside), then she had Baytril to
take and saline bathing (as Penny suggests).  With the saline, I mixed the
salt and warm water in a cup, having warmed the cup with hot water first,
then encircled the cup in a little bubble wrap to keep it at the right
temperature for longer.

If bathing with cotton wool, I would wrap the cotton wool in a tissue so
that none of the little fibres from the cotton wool get caught in the
wound.  I'm sure little Phoebe will find gentle, warm bathing comforting
as part of a cuddle.  If you think of yourself relaxing in a warm bath,
she will feel you are relaxed, and then start relaxing herself. If she
senses that you are worried, she will think there is something to worry
about.  Oh, I know this is *much* easier said than done...

Healing wheeks!

Best wishes

Kay