[Gpdd] [Misc] why the guinea pig?

Laura Carin lcarin at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 26 00:31:51 EST 2007

I grew up always having cats in my life and when I went away to university I
was devastated that I didn't have cats living with me anymore.  Every
apartment I've lived in since I left home has been a "no pets" place and as
time went on, I became more and more desperate to have a cat.  Two years
ago, just before Christmas, my husband and I were Christmas shopping and we
walked by a pet store.  Inside there was a cage of 3 guinea pigs.  It was
like a lightning bolt hit me and as we continued to shop, I periodically
gave my husband puppy dog eyes and until he gave in and we came home with
the cutest guinea pig in the cage: the black one with the white stripe, who
we had named before we had even finished the transaction:  Zephyr.  We
brought him home in a cardboard box with a pet store cage and everything
else the pet store said we needed to have.   We had no idea whatsoever how
to care for him. Within a few weeks I had done hours of research on the net,
joined the gpdd and learned that buying guinea pigs from a pet store is a no
no, as is buying a cage from a pet store.  We built a C&C cage, started
lining it with fleece and carefresh, and began spending tons of money making
sure he had fresh organic veggies twice a day.  It took us three days to
fall in love with him.  And that was that.  Then it took me a year to
convince my husband that Zephyr needed a friend.  And so Felix joined our
lives just over a year ago.  Now they're best buds and we couldn't be
happier.  I can't imagine my life without guinea pigs.  My boys are the
first thing on my mind when I wake up in the morning and they're the last
thing I think about at night.  My world is definitely a better place because
of them.

Laura, Zephyr & Felix