[Gpdd] HEALTH. New piggy with BM problems

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Jan 30 07:10:33 EST 2007

Welcome new unnamed piggy (friend to Jerry).

If your new boy is otherwise healthy and bright, he could just have a tummy upset. When new piggies arrive here at my little rescue, I try to keep them on the same dry food as they are used to, even if it is not one of which I approve and I gradually change to the one I normally use. Changing the diet too quickly can cause diarrhoea. You may not know what he is used to, however, and you could try giving him only his dry food and hay for a day or two and see if his droppings firm up. He may not have been given tasty veggies in his last home.

You will not want to separate him from his friend as they seem to have bonded so quickly so you could take Jerry out of the cage just to give him his usual veggies and then put him straight back.

The meds that I can use (in England) may not be available to you - I'm assuming that you are in the US - and someone there may have a suggestion but it may be that he will need an antibiotic from the vet to clear this up. If you can buy it, one dose of liquid Immodium ( a human diarrhoea mixture ) might be enough to clear this up. Give 0.8ml by syringe. A second dose can be given after 8 hours if needed.

Wishing you all the best,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.