[Gpdd] [GPDD] [Silly] Overprotective mothering

Sandi Korman yikes888 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 13:13:04 EDT 2007

I haven't posted in a while but I figured that with all the beloved piggies
passing over the rainbow bridge we all needed a funny story that only we
would understand.

I have an older female piggie (Checkers) that had a problem a while back and
my vet suggested injecting her with hormones.  I decided against it and have
been keeping my eye on her like a hawk.  I weigh all of my piggies monthly
(well I record their weight monthly but weigh them weekly)

Anyway the beginning of June Checkers weighed 1094 grams.  I weighed her a
couple of wheeks ago and she was down to 850 grams.  I immediately knew she
would be seeing the vet.  I have an excellent relationship with my vet and
she will see any of my pets the day I call.  So Checkers went to work with
me that morning.  Now Checkers isn't like my other piggies.  She absolutely
HATES to travel, is VERY opinionated, and does not like to be in different
environments so she was not happy when she got to work with me.  I work in
an office and set her up in 2 xerox boxes with her water, food, cozy, etc.
Promptly at 8:30 am I call the vet and schedule an appointment for 11:30
am.

So I get to the vets office, and I am very nervous because I don't know
what's going on with my little baby.  The vet tech calls me in the
office....She takes Checkie out of her carrier, places her on the scale and
very casually says 1054 grams....I swing my head around a say WHAT?!  She
was just 850 grams at home!  Michele (vet tech) then says hang on and gets
another scale....1058 grams on this scale.  She then chuckles and asks if
the vet should still examine Checkers.  I say no because Dr. Hoefer saw
Checkers a couple of wheeks earlier.

So the diagnosis was:  Broken Scale disease with a side of overprotective
mothering!  Thank goodness my vet loves my animals and knows me so well!

Enjoy!