[Gpdd] HEALTH Archie

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Jul 16 16:06:13 EDT 2007

Julie,

You poor thing, going through all this distress with Archie, when I thought that he must have recovered as we hadn't had a post from you in such a long time.

I know only too well how demanding continued syringe feeding can be, both physically and mentally, especially when you feel that you are getting nowhere.

Everything possible seems to have been done for your little boy. I will offer a small suggestion. Normally, piggies are eating almost all day long and it is possible that due to Archie's inability to eat for so long, his jaw muscles could have weakened to a point where he is not strong enough to bite anything.

This would not account for the continued slobbering, so indicative of a tooth problem. I do hope that someone else can come up with an answer.

If the time should come when he cannot cope anymore and you feel that it is right thing to help him, my vet always maintained that the gas was the kindest option. He would use the little anaesthetic chamber that he used for operations and the unfortunate piggy would just drift off to sleep and beyond. I agree with this as it avoids the pain of a needle with a lethal injection.

However, we don't want to dwell on this at the moment and sincerely hope that Archie will one day be eating on his own.

Would it be worth contacting the CCT for further advice?

Please do take care of yourself and know that we are thinking of you and wishing you well.

Healing wheeks to Archie and love to Dougall,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.