[Gpdd] [HEALTH]<Yaya and Jan and the fungus adventure>

Janneke Staaks jannekestaaks at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 21 08:32:38 EDT 2007

Hi all,
I've been a bad slave. My pigs have been sick and it wouldn't have happened
if i had cleaned up after myself (or rather my pigs). I do however, promise
to never do it again.

Sundayevening when i went to bed i called my pigs, aided with some chicory,
to go into their cage (they are freerange when i'm home during the
evenings). when they were eating their chicory, jan made a really odd sound,
sort of rasping, in his nose, i think.
I was worried so i decided to go to the vet on mondaymorning. When i got up,
i went to get the travelbasket. Yaya was sounding a bit weird too so i
wanted to take them all. When i got the carrier, there were two unusual
things about it. first, the door was open. second there was a hairy patch of
mould (fungus) on the hay.
It was easy enough to add things up. Jan and yaya must have snuck into the
carrier. Now i was even more alarmed but i have only one other carrier,
which is quite small. This will only fit one pig and i had a limited amount
of time so i couldn't clean the big one. So since jan was in the worst state
(they were already better than sundaynight), i put him in the small basket
and went to the vet.
The vet was really happy to see him, she neutered him and Jan and her really
like each other. Ofcourse jan refused to eat some chicory to demonstrate his
raspy sound but his breathing was a bit off so to be on the sure side she
gave him a antibiotics injection (baytril). i also made an appointment to
come back later with suus and yaya to give them a check up.
So later that day i brought yaya and suus in. Suus was as healthy as ever
but poor yaya had a fever and breathing problems. The problem with yaya is
that she has had a lot of chronic intestinal problems. I normally don't give
antibiotics anymore because that always ends in diarrhoea. So we discussed
it but in the end i decided to let her have a shot of antibiotics anyway. i
know how to deal with antibiotics-induced diarrhoea, i don't know how to
deal with problems caused by fungus, other than administering antibiotics.
So we went home. Both jan and yaya were still a bit raspy when they had
their veggies but i know antibiotics need between 24 and 48 hours to kick
in. The next day i worked at home in order to monitor them closely. Yaya
indeed developed a bit of diarhoea, so I gave her more gastro than usual
(gastro is a chinese herbalformula in the form of tablets) and an extra dose
of protexin (probiotic). She always get these two in order to keep the
diarrhoea away, but i gave her a bit more. I also gave her 0.5 ml of
primperan which is a liquid that speeds up her bowelmovement and helps with
intestinal problems. Luckily yaya's diarrhoea went away quickly. The poor
girl then had to get a butt-bath to clean her little behind and a shave in
that area so that she could keep herself clean more easily.
Now we're two days further and everything seems to be going well. I feel
really stupid for not cleaning out their travelling basket. But i cannot do
that much about it now.
Healing wheeks to all the other sick pigs!

Janneke