[Gpdd] HEALTH: Bordetella & Pasteurella

DFHAKES at aol.com DFHAKES at aol.com
Sat Jun 23 15:37:59 EDT 2007

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming rabbit adoption.  House
Rabbit Society is very strict and we turn down more people than we accept for
adoption.  No doubt you'll provide a safe, loving home.

I've had a rabbit and two to four guinea pigs living in the same room for
the past seven years with no problem.  If you read the textbooks and talk  to
some "by the book" vets, I'm an idiot.  That's because most of the  textbooks
were written either by lab vets (and not practicing vets) and/or used  data from
the huge barns used to raise pet & meat rabbits.  One of the  dirtiest
environments possible, so no doubt they had rampant disease.

In a clean home environment you shouldn't have a problem.  Yes,  rabbits
carry bordetella that can be problematic for piggers.  Piggers  carry pasteurella
that can be problematic for rabbits.  But only in very  dirty environments or
extremely sick animals.

In my house, the bunny and piggies share the same toys and play area  (but
not at the same time).  I replenish their hay from the same bin.   I do have
separate guinea pig & bunny pellets as their nutritional needs are  different.  I
have three other buns who are quite picky but my bunny eats  the same veggies
as the piggies, including tomatoes, cucumber &  orange.

I don't let them play together.  My bunny is very strong and I think  she
would hurt the guineas if provoked.  She enjoys watching the guinea  pigs run on
the floor and often flops happily when they run around.  I  think a mellow
bunny would be fine playing with guinea pigs.

Colorado is a great chapter and I know they'll answer any questions you  have
and provide the support you need during your adoption process. Make sure  you
buy a copy of the fourth edition of the House Rabbit Handbook.  Please  let
me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Dana Felice
Chapter Manager
Tampa Bay House  Rabbit Society

Please check out our rabbit information and lists of  adoptable rabbits
at:_www.tampabayhrs.org_ (http://www.tampabayhrs.org/)
http://wwww.tampabayhrs.petfinder.com  (check out our new Petfinder address!)

"It doesn't matter what the  kids say. Rabbits are not disposable like a box
of cereal or a Disney video.  They WILL get tired of the rabbits and go on to
the next toy. YOU will have to  deal with the consequences. Unfortunately,
most people deal with the situation  by DUMPING their rabbits on someone else.
Ultimately, it is the bunny that pays  for your inability to say NO."