[Gpdd] HEALTH. Eating apples. Teddy.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Mar 9 06:40:23 EST 2007

Some piggies have a weakness in the membrane around their mouths and it is reported that apples, being acidic, can aggravate this and cause the nasty mouth sores.

Having said that, most piggies can eat apples without any trouble. I have always fed them to my herd and in 30+ years have only ever had one piggy that was affected. I always cut the apples into small pieces first.

When I was treating Rye for mouth sores, I gave his cage mate his apple when Rye was out of the cage  having his cream applied. Rye is OK now and I am letting him the occasional finely chopped apple.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.