[Gpdd] HEALTH Recipe for Barley Water

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Mar 18 05:59:50 EDT 2007

Jaime, So sorry to read that Molly is unwell.

Here's how to make barley water, which I have used successfully on piggies with a UTI. Only make a small amount as it must be used up within 24 hours.

You need one part of pearl barley to 8 parts of water. Boil for 20-30 minutes. Do not answer the phone during this time as the pan will invariably boil dry and you'll have to scrape the pan and start again. ( Ask Susi about burnt on barley! )

Susi has also tried making it in the microwave.

Drain off the water ( by now a viscous liquid ) and let it cool. Syringe feed this, as much as Molly will take at a time. The remaining barley can be liquidised and mixed with a favourite veggie and enough water to make a "soup", which can also be syringed. You may find that Molly will eat this from a dish.

Couch grass is an invasive weed, with long underground stems. It is found all over Europe and I have read that it has been introduced to North America, so you may know it by another name. Here is a picture http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/gardenplants/weeds/index.html

I have tried cranberry juice in the past. I used a natural one without sweeteners from the health food store. The pig in question liked it about as much as I do ( yuk ).

All the best to Molly,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.