[Gpdd] MISC: Yet Another Pet Store Story

BunsnPigs at aol.com BunsnPigs at aol.com
Sun Mar 18 16:06:59 EDT 2007

Diana, that owner was incredibly rude. I wrote him an email letter. I hope
others do, too. You may get more people to respond if you post this on the
Guinea Lynx website, too, at _http://www.guinealynx.info/forums_
(http://www.guinealynx.info/forums) .

Judi L.

Randy,  I became aware of your pet shop not long ago. Your website is  very
nice. I know of someone who stopped in and made some observations about the
guinea pigs in the shop. There is a lot of information about the care and
feeding of guinea pigs both online and in many, many veterinary textbooks. I  hope
you find the below information useful.

Guinea pigs can not eat rabbit food. If you examine the  bags of rabbit
pellets you sell, you will see that they do NOT contain added  vitamin C. The
guinea pig pellets do have added vitamin C. Here are some  testimonials from
veterinarians on this subject:

1) Dr. Susan Brown, medical director for the House Rabbit Society and
practicing veterinarian at Midwest Bird and Exotic Animal Hospital in  Westchester,
Illinois. From her Small Mammal Health Series at the Veterinary  Partners
website:
_http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=684&S=0&SourceID=43_
(http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=684&S=0&SourceID=43)

"Do not feed rabbit pellets as a substitute for guinea pig pellets. They  are
not equivalent in nutritive value. Unlike rabbits and most other mammals,
guinea pigs require a high level of folic acid and vitamin C. Guinea pig diets
are uniquely formulated with these requirements in mind, whereas rabbit
pellets  are not."

2) p. 251 'Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents Clinical Medicine and Surgery',
Katherine E. Quesenberry and James E. Carpenter, Saunders, 2004.  This is a
section on scurvy. Guinea pigs can not manufacture their own vitamin C. They  need
supplementation. Guinea pig chow is fortified with vitamin C. Rabbit chow  is
not. I quote from a rather long section, only one statement:

    "Fresh, good quality guinea pig (not rabbit) chow  provides adequate
vitamin C if used within 90 days of milling date (see Chapter  23)."

3) p. 182 'Introduction to Veterinary Anatomy and Physiology', Victoria
Aspinall and Melanie O'Reilly, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2004. This section talks
about the anatomy and physiology of the guinea pig.

    "The liver of the guinea pig is unable to  synthesize vitamin C and
deficiencies may occur if the animal does not receive a  daily dietary source.
Symptoms include a dull rough coat, stiff gait and  lameness, pain on movement,
diarrhoea, anorexia and genral lethargy."   (Please note that the spelling of
'diarrhea' is how Canadians spell it - the  book was published in Canada.)

4) URL 'Diseases of Guinea Pigs' by DVM Marti Hanes at the University of
Texas Health Sciences Center
_http://www.afip.org/vetpath/POLA/99/1999-POLA-Cavia.htm_ (http://www.afip.org/vetpath/POLA/99/1999-POLA-Cavia.htm)

5) From the IVIS Proceedings of 2006, the 2006 North American Veterinary
Conference: Small Animal and Exotics Section - Orlando, Florida, USA, a
presentation by well-known and well-respected Italian veterinarian Dr.  Vittorio
Capello, "Clinical Approach to the Anorectic Guinea Pig":

    "Another physiological peculiarity is the inability  to synthesize
vitamin C, necessitating a dietary source."

6) From the #1 seller of quality guinea pig and rabbit food, the Oxbow Hay
Company. They have registered nutritionists and veterinary references from all
over the world.

Abou their guinea pig food 'Cavy Cuisine' with added vitamin C:
_http://www.oxbowhay.com/link.sp?page=CavyCuisine_
(http://www.oxbowhay.com/link.sp?page=CavyCuisine)

=====================

Guinea pigs should not be housed with rabbits. I have both  rabbits and
guinea pigs and do not house them together. I know that rabbits can  be around
guinea pigs but housing them in small quarters is not a good idea.  Here is more
information:

1) From the British Veterinary Association Animal Welfare Fund.
_http://www.bva-awf.org.uk/pet/buying/guinea.asp_
(http://www.bva-awf.org.uk/pet/buying/guinea.asp)  :

"It is not advisable to keep a guinea pig with a rabbit. Rabbits can become
very aggressive towards guinea pigs, often with disastrous - and sometimes
fatal  - consequences for the guinea pig."

2) From answers.com, _http://www.petpages.com/category/pocket_pets-31.html_
(http://www.petpages.com/category/pocket_pets-31.html)

"Some books recommend keeping rabbits and _guinea pigs_
(http://www.answers.com/topic/guinea-pig)  together to meet their social needs. While  there is
varied success with this technique, it is recommended that rabbits  should not be
kept in the same cage with guinea pigs._[9]_
(http://www.answers.com/topic/domestic-rabbit#wp-_note-8)  A rabbit can easily harass or injure a guinea  pig;
this can lead to severe distress or even death for the guinea pig. Rabbits
and Guinea pigs also have differing _nutritional requirements_
(http://www.answers.com/topic/reference-daily-intake)  and therefore require separate  foods."
3) From the Pet Website, 'Why Rabbits and Guinea Pigs Don't Mix', and this
article also talks about diet.
_http://www.petwebsite.com/article_read.asp?id=316&title=Why%20Rabbits%20and%20Guinea%20Pigs%20Do%20Not%20Mix_
(http://www.petwebsite.com/article_read.asp?id=316&title=Why%20Rabbits%20and%20Guinea%20Pigs%2
0Do%20Not%20Mix)
4) From the Provet website,
_http://www.provet.co.uk/Guinea%20pigs/guineapighome.htm#b_ (http://www.provet.co.uk/Guinea%20pigs/guineapighome.htm#b)
"Guinea Pigs are social animals usually mix well with other animals - even
members of other species such as rabbits. However, some authorities and authors
 do not advise keeping guinea pigs with rabbits, because there have been
reports  of guinea pigs being injured (and even killed) by rabbits, which have a
powerful  kick. "
Randy, there are many more websites to find out this information and  there
are many veterinary texts with the same information. If you are as caring  as
you say you are about the animals that you sell, then you may  be doing a
disservice to your customers if you are educating them  that housing guinea pigs
with rabbits and feeding them rabbit chow  are ok things to do. The guinea pigs
are also at risk. Please take the  time to read the above information. Thank
you.
Judi Lainer
Virginia