[Gpdd] Misc: Re: Alligator

Guineapigfilms at aol.com Guineapigfilms at aol.com
Sun Mar 18 17:02:01 EDT 2007

Because I am so attached to our guinea pigs as pets and beloved family
members, I was appalled by (and probably couldn't bear to look at) the  picture of
the zoo feeding their alligator.

It reminded me of a guinea pig breeder who was a great friend to our very
first piggy, Hazel, who starred in Alyssa's very first guinea pig  movie. This
piggy was a dear, beautiful companion. This breeder, who  appeared to adore her
piggies, actually saved Hazel's life when she was dying  from pneumonia and
our own vet (who billed herself as an "exotics vet" but  obviously knew little
about guinea pigs) made a complete mess of her treatment.  This breeder had
several older male guinea pigs who were nearing the end of  their lives, and she
actually said that she had made inquiries at a local zoo to  see if they
would want the pigs for alligator food!!!! I absolutely could not  believe what I
was hearing!!!!

Alyssa had been offered jobs in local pet shops, but could never accept
these jobs because they fed rats and mice to their snakes. We have rescued many
piggies, gerbils, rats, and mice who were destined to be snake food. (The
piggies and gerbils were ones which had been born with deformities or had some
health problem that made them not available for sale.) But I'm sure that most
people on this list do realize that many, many rats ("feeder rats") and  mice
("pinkies") are bred solely for the purpose of feeding pet snakes and  snakes
in zoos and (natural history and science) musuems. Rats, as anyone who  has
ever had one as a pet will know, are extremely intelligent and can also be
affectionate. Herpetologists, though, just see them as a food source for their
reptiles.

Rabbits also make wonderful, sweet companions, according to many  friends of
mine. Yet I was served rabbit legs (which I couldn't eat) when I  visited the
Netherlands, and I know that some people also eat them in this  country. And,
yes, some people in other countries eat horse meat and even  dogs.

This is such a loaded subject, as everyone on this Digest knows. Animals  are
so much more intelligent and empathetic than anyone is willing to give them
credit for. But the problem with giving them credit is....how could we ever
eat  our friends???? If we really believed their innate intelligence and
emotions???

Alyssa is a strict vegetarian, and has been all her life. I confess that I
eat shrimp and I have also eaten chicken wings. I am trying to stop eating all
forms of animal life.

Guinea pigs are wonderful creatures, and certainly deserve not to be eaten.
And so are rodents, really. But should all the snakes in captivity die? All
the  animals that were captured in zoos and could never make it now in the  wild?

What is the answer? I don't know. I wish the alligators could be fed
alternate protein sources. But they are carnivores....so what kind of animal  could
serve this purpose? Does anyone know?

I am horrified at the practices of this Zoo...but I really have no  answers.

Love and WHEEEEEEEEPS,

Nancy