[Gpdd] HEALTH: Constipation and Silky

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 29 16:58:19 EDT 2007

Dear Bethany

Peter Gurney says this about constipation:-

"The symtoms are hard, dry pellets, a little smaller than usual.  Sometimes
these are joined together like a string of sausages.

Guinea pigs are usually a little dehydrated when they are constipated, so it
is important to try to get plenty of fluid into them, and to give them
vegetables that have laxative qualitites.  Dandelions and Groundsel are good
for this condition, Groundsel being particularly useful since it is
available throughout the year.  A mash of oats and chinchilla grass pellets
will also be effective, because of its high fibre content.

If this does not work, 0.5ml liquid paraffin will help get things going.
Only give a second dose one day after the first, however.  Never give a
third dose: too much of this product can flush out vital gut enzymes.

The guinea pig's appetite is not usually as sharp when it is constipated,
but it should still be eating a reasonable amount.  If it is right off its
food it should be checked by an expert for internal blackage, inflammation
of the digestive system or fungal infestation of the throat or gullet."

I notice you say Silky has Cushing's, so her abdomen is naturally distended.
It might be that in this situation that liquid paraffin may not be an
advisable option.  However, you could text Vedra at the Cambridge Cavy Trust
about that (i.e. a message like "my gp has Cushings and is constipated.  Is
it ok to give liquid paraffin?"  I am certain she'll text you back.  Her
number is 07721 026 401.

I hope the above is of use and that Silky is feeling much better very soon.

Carole