[Gpdd] HEALTH - Piggie with cystitis

Jamie Hill mshill0207 at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 11:04:44 EDT 2007

  Does anyone have any recommendations on type of antibiotic to give a piggie with a nasty
  case of cystitis.  We are currently giving Maya 1/2 ml of Albon per day (and have been since mid-March).  My vet likes this drug for UTI's, but she's had this cystitis for over 2 weeks now.  Wet rear end and urine scalding all over. We are also giving her unsweetened cranberry juice 3 x per day, 1/3 ml of echinecia 2 x per day, 1/2 ml of shilintong per day, and metacam.  We are also constantly changing the towels in her
  cage.  Other than the sore rear end, she is finally eating, drinking, and acting like a healthy
  pig.  She has gained all of her weight back and doesn't exhibit signs of stones, sludge, or
  UTI.  (She passed a stone in April).  Vet says she is still producing crystals, but they are
  passing through.  We've also changed her diet to help the calcium / phospherus ratio.

  Thanks in advance!

  Jamie & Piggie friends
  Maya, Cookie, Annie, Gracie, Conan, Harry, and Lloyd