[Gpdd] HEALTH: Plane Travel for Piggies

Candy G. crawdad1953 at hotmail.com
Sat May 26 15:33:04 EDT 2007

Greetings, Jennifer -

In answer to your questions about piggies travelling
on planes, travelling with piggies is always a very hard
decision because it's hard to know how the little ones
are going to react or adapt at any given time.  It is
always a decision that has to be made with a lot of
planning and thought regardless of whether you are
taking the piggies with you or leaving them behind.

I have been very blessed to have had really good
experiences with 'piggie travel'.  Topper and Mollie
started travelling with me in the car at a very young
age and took to it like ducks to water.  They took
their first plane trip at 1 and 1-1/2 years old and,
although we lost Mollie over a year ago, Topper
recently took a plane trip with us at over 5 years old.
Every single time, though, it was a very hard decision
and it was made only after a lot of "soul searching".
There have also been times where I have NOT taken
the piggies with me - "something just didn't feel right
about it at the time", and I always try to really look at
that feeling closely and respect it.

With Delta Airlines, the piggies CAN fly in the cabin
with you in an approved carrier that fits under the
seat in front of you.  It is an extra fee of $50 to $75
paid ONE WAY each direction.  They will allow up to
two piggies per one pet carrier, especially if you talk
with someone voice to voice at the time you are
booking your flight and tell them that they are a
bonded pair.

A health certificate is required dated ten days or less
before your flight date.  Your vet can fill this out for
you and can also see if there are any special
requirements that need to be met on the destination
end.  I always thought this was silly for piggies and
never had anyone even ask if I had one for them,
BUT on the last two trips, they HAVE asked to see
the health certificates.  Go figure...

NOTE:  DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO MAKE YOU SEND
YOUR PIGGIES IN THEIR CARRIER ON THE CONVEYOR
BELT THROUGH THE XRAY!!! Have your vet write ON
THE HEALTH CERTIFICATE that they absolutely MUST
NOT go through xray.  Take them out and hold them
WITH YOU as you go through the metal detector.  If
TSA tries to give you a hard time, just stay very calm
and courteous and show them the vet instructions.

Keep in mind that there are floor vents along both
sides of the plane.  When the piggies are on the floor
under a seat, they are in the flow trail of those vents.
It is a good idea to cover three sides of their carrier
(leave the side facing you uncovered) with a lightweight
fleece blanket to prevent drafts and possible respiratory
involvement.  It also creates a safe little "cave" for them.

I carry extra newspaper to line the bottom of the
carrier so that I can switch and clean it between flights.
I put a little hay in the carrier and a small sipper tube of
water that fits inside the carrier.  I also carry a small ziplock
of water-rich veggies for them.  Topper and Mollie have
always done great with their travel whether by plane or
car, but I would like to say again that piggies are basically
'homebodies' and we should only travel with them with
due thought and consideration as to how it will affect
each individual piggie.

An important thing that needs to be considered, also, is
what will be the accommodations and environment that
the piggies will be exposed to at the destination?  Will
they be taken from place to place to place?  Will it be
loud and chaotic?  Will there be a place where they can
be "settled in" and calm and safe for the duration of the
trip?  Piggie travel can be fun and wonderful for them and
for us - it just takes thoughtful planning and careful
consideration.

Sorry for the length of this message...  I am out of the
habit of posting.  (Hey, everybody!  I'm missed all of you!
Good luck to all of the Pigolympians and much love and
gentle healing to all piggies and peoples who are in
sadness and pain.)

Candy, Topper, Cat X
(and Mollie at the Bridge and in our hearts)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message: 6
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 13:12:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jennifer B Jacobs <xenatikkanen at yahoo.com>

when you are travelling with your piggies, can
they go on the plane at all? If I could get TSA to let Paully go on the
plane with me in her kennel, would it be safe? I was always under the
impression that her head would explode from pressure (not necessarily
literally!) and that it wasn't safe. But I had to ask. Has anyone done
this? If so, did they get to go in the cabin or in cargo; I WON'T put
Paul in Cargo. She deserves better (no offense to the pets that do!). I
have heard too many horror stories about pets who have perished or
became ill as a result. I know it will either be too cold or too hot for
Paully.