[Gpdd] VIRTUAL Piggyfriends' Homecoming

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu May 31 06:55:51 EDT 2007

I've just returned from the airport with my Olympians. They had stayed on at Lake Elsinore to help with the deconstruction of the Olympig village but finally ran out of excuses to stay and had to come home.

I am so glad that Pig Air has its own terminal at Gatwick and I was able to meet them directly off the plane instead of waiting in the Arrivals Hall. Some of them were swaying a bit as they came down the steps from the plane. I'm not sure whether that was as a result of Pig Air's excellent in-flight hospitality or several cases of jet lag but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt ( just this time ).

I was pleased to see that Sapphire had a firm hold of little Nova's paw and helped her down the steps. Diamond was clutching a huge signed photo of Chester, the Jolly Rodent and Gingerbread, Mayflower and Daisy were squabbling over the possession of Jan the Boar's soccer shirt, with Daisy trying to exercise her authority as Security Pig.

They were all tallking at once as we walked to the Baggage Reclaim and I was dumbfounded when I saw the amount of luggage on the Carousel, far more than they had taken with them. I knew that it was a mistake to let them loose with those Egg Cards. Then I saw several bales of Oxbow hay coming along the conveyor. "That's a present from our friend, Lady Bug!" they all chorused. How were we going to get that past Customs?

I loaded everything onto a big trolley and, with great trepidation, we entered the Customs Hall. We need not have worried as the Customs Officer winked at the returning Olympian heroes, wearing their assorted coloured medals, and turned a blind eye to the bales of hay ( phew!! ) but asked for autographs ( for his family's guinea pigs, of course ).

Nearly there! We were able to leave the airport via the staff corridors as my husband works there and were thus able to avoid the airport photographers. I thought that the Piggyfriends had had enough excitement for one day and they were very tired.

They wanted to tell me about inviting the Winky team to go camping in the summer. I'm so glad that I have Jocelyn's pigture of Little John putting up his tent so that they can see how it is done! There's lots of tent space in the garden and plenty of juicy grass to munch. I wonder who else they have invited? I can envisage lots of piggies arriving on the doorstep carrying camping equipment!  All are welcome as long as I do not have to erect a tent.

They all piled into the car while I stowed the baggage and hay. They started to tell me about Jan the Boar's winning goal, Miss Pooky and Miss Perky dancing on the table at the nightclub, Nova presenting the flowers to the winners, all the new friends that they have made....................................but before we had left the airport, they were all fast asleep.

I had to carry them all indoors when we got home and they are still sleeping off the jet lag. When they wake up, they can pin Jan's shirt on the wall for all to enjoy and Diamond can get her photo framed. Medals can be hung from their pens and other souvenirs of a wonderful trip can be displayed.

On their behalf, I would like to thank Pig Air for their excellent service ( can I fly with you on my next vacation? ), Mary Fran and her team for providing a wonderful venue and endless scrumptious food and all the piggies from all over the world who made this such a grand occasion. I hope that you all had as much fun as my Piggyfriends and that they can do it all again one day in the future.

Penny and the exhausted Piggyfriendzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and Lilac and Lavender who are waiting for them to wake up.