[Gpdd] HEALTH GP book for beginners

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Nov 17 13:36:51 EST 2007

Hi Carole,

I have always recommended Peter Gurney's "Proper Care of Guinea Pigs" to anyone starting out with piggies and when I used to take some of the Piggyfriends along to the RSPCA Pet Days I always had a well thumbed copy of this book nailed to my table for people to see. The print is clear, the pigtures are gorgeous and, being an English book, it is not going to cause problems in translation.

Another book that I like is Myra Mahoney's "The Really Useful Guinea Pig Guide". Much more concise than Peter's book but more likely to appeal to children with its cute drawings of piggies. Page 8 even answers the first question as it is all about "Guinea Pig Language".

Hopefully your friend's friend, not the children, is going to be responsible for the piggy care. Give her a list of the good piggy websites that we all love, tell her to join the GPDD and keep a cage spare for when you are needed to pick up the pieces.

Best of luck,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.